Monday, April 12, 2010

C'est la vie..



This is what Max and I have been doing for the past day or two...

We were the unlucky ones(so far) to come down with the stomach flu. Nothing like hanging out in bed on a beautiful, sunny, warm day in Paris. To add insult to injury, our washing machine broke down. I only thought to myself once, ok maybe twice...how many days do we have left??

I did manage to finally finish the book I am reading though. A great book (trilogy..hardcover, that I sacrificed a pair of boots for in the luggage) all about Josephine and Napoleon Bonaparte. There is nothing better than a good historical fiction that takes place in the city you are visiting.I am revisiting all of their old haunts.





Despite the setback, we have had a beautiful week here in Paris. At first, I thought that maybe we should stay on for a longer period of time, but I think a week is perfect. We have been relatively relaxed about getting out the door in the morning and I still feel like we have seen everything we came to see.

I have come to the conclusion though that Paris is for adults. There is plenty for kids to do, but there is, oh ,so much more out there to see and explore without them and it takes stamina...especially if you want to experience all it has to offer. I want to go to bookstores, galleries and cafes, sit and people watch and maybe even drink wine in the afternoon. I want to go out late at night and wander. I want to walk in high heels on the cobblestones and visit a jazz bar..or two. I want a minute alone with my husband!

I dont want to listen to kids who want to go shopping at "H&M"...

I am thrilled that my children have had this opportunity. They have risen to the occasion and walked many miles to visit many museums and churches in many different neighborhoods.They still ask to go into churches! They have sat through a number of meals (we only choose cafes with wifi).They have even spent considerable time in french bookstores without too much complaining. They have been great... but they are children. They are good for one event a day....and shopping.

It has been a blast watching Olivia transform her look over the past couple of weeks. I have watched her observing. Sweatpants are gone...skinnies and high boots are in. She has even asked for a purse! Unfortunately, most of her transformation has come out of my suitcase. I am thankful they still think H&M is hip! You should see the new red sunnies Max is sporting! Mike tried to grow a beard for the week, but Liv and I shut him down pretty quickly. He was looky a bit dirty and french though.



Paris...where to begin?

It has been warm and sunny, perfect for wandering. We have been to all the typical tourist spots. We have covered most of the neighborhoods. I am always apprehensive about doing it all because we need a reason to come again! I think my favorite part of the week so far was our visit to Montmartre. Last time Mike and I were here, we chose to stay close to the city center and missed out on Montmartre so it was a perfect day of exploring for all of us. We had lunch on the lawn in front of Sacre Coeur,spent hours and most of our budget on the buskers and then spent the afternoon wandering around the Place du Terre.

The kids had their portraits drawn. It was very serious business. Olivias looks very similiar to Jennifer Aniston.(?)





We glimpsed at the Moulin Rouge, which my daughter seemed to know lots about, and then proceeded to get very lost as we made our way home.We tried to walk.... but have learned quickly to just stick to the Metropolitan. It is just too easy. We ended up on one of the many bridges waving at all the tourists on the boats. Max felt like a movie star.



I think my kids favorite day was their visit to, and up, the Eiffel tower. I would know nothing about it...I was at home in bed.

Click on "flickr" on right to see photos (mylilola photostream)

No comments:

Post a Comment