Sunday, May 23, 2010

Tuscany



Feeling very lucky...



Seeing where the wind takes you does not always work out so well.



Once again I knew that we were to spend a week in Tuscany. I had thought lots about it,but was either too busy, didnt have internet connection,would rather go for a run...(the excuses are endless) to commit. Its just a bad habit of mine. I want it all..I get overwhelmed by it all..

I sent a mass of emails out the day before leaving Levanto in hopes of finding the perfect spot in the hills of Tuscany. Sometimes you just have to take chances and trust that it will all work out. Crossing your fingers helps too!

This reply made me laugh. I instantly wanted to meet Claudio and his family.

"swimming pool with salad filled water, cheese and wine tasteing in
Montalcino, washing machine, vegetables garden, mountain-bike,
pasta course and any other activities that you can see on my web
site www.agriturismo.com/rodellosso.
There is a big garden with a barbecue and table for to eat.
At 4 km at Pienza the are some little restaurants of my friends.
My father mades wine, my mother mades cakes and chickens made eggs.
Looking forward to earing from you soon, I remain with my best regards."

I booked it 4 hours before our arrival.



Agritourismo Rodellesso is a little bit of heaven. It is located along a country road a few km. from Pienza and smack dab in between Montalcino and Montepulciano. It is your typical Tuscan farmhouse with tiled floors,wood beam ceilings,ochre colored stone walls and a big central fireplace in the kitchen area. It proudly sits on a hill overlooking Val D'orcia. 360 degree views of all Tuscany -endless sky, olive groves, vineyards, poppy fields, old stone farmhouses, cultivated fields in different shades of green, lone cypress trees crowning hilltops and distant villages . There is a feeling of isolation yet the world is on your doorstep. I cant compare it to anything I have seen or experienced before.



And then there is the history...

I am reading ' Vanilla Beans and Brodo" " A book about real life in the town of Montalcino and its people. I can say that I am inspired to move to another small rural town in Tuscany and write my own book. It seems to be the thing to do....



True to his word....Claudio's mama makes cake, his papa makes wine and his chickens lay eggs. His garden produces artichokes, beans, lettuce and much more. You are welcome to all of it....



They taught us to make pasta.






It may not be pretty, but it was tasty.



They brought us to their friends cantina/vineyard, SanLorenzo. We got to taste a number of their wines including their delicious Brunello di Montalcino which the area is renown for.

Claudio (on left) and his friend Paola of Sanlornza



Olivia's first wine tasting.



Paola also makes Olive oil. A bottle of delicious oil that makes everything taste so much better...



The kids and I swam in their "salad" (salted!) filled pool while Mike went for long rides.



We walked...and took a lot of pictures! Will publish them to my flickr account soon.



A fabulous week. Almost makes me want me to pack up and move to Pemberton meadows..

1 comment:

  1. Very funny, we got a good laugh from this. The Italians have a great entertaining you, as long as you can eat and drink plenty.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete