Friday, May 28, 2010

Lounging in the Luberon



The village square of Cucuron

I believe we have finally found another part of the world we would consider living. It is a funny game we play, but it is all part of keeping the dream alive.



We are now on another house exchange in the Luberon region of Provence. "L'Oustau dei Figo" (House of Figs) is a renovated 17th century "bastion" located just outside of the small village Cucuron. It is a beautiful farmhouse filled with art and furniture from family travels. Much to our delight it is also filled with books. All in english! I believe Mike and I both have a half dozen on the go.



The Luberon region is at its finest: spectacular countryside filled with vineyards, olive groves and orchards. You can just hear the bees a buzzing. The markets, one every day of the week in a different small village or town, are filled to the brim with fresh produce, local specialties such as honey, soap and nougat, artisan crafts and always wine. I love the spirit of community on these days.



I am also loving all the country roads filled with cyclists. Mike has had some stellar days in the saddle with plans to conquer "the Ventoux" tomorrow. Mont Ventoux has hosted numerous stages in the Tour de France. He has had his eye on it for the past couple of days, but we have been hit hard with the "mistral" winds. One can barely walk in these winds let alone cycle.

I have read about these winds, but they are truly something to experience. I can understand needing to be inside in the rain and cold, but there is nothing quite like staying inside on a bluebird day because it is too windy. Crazy! Actually I have also read that these winds do in fact drive people crazy. The Mistral is a favorite topic of conversation among the locals. It seems to have a personality of its own. I am trying hard not to be affected by the weather, but I am losing the battle. Mike is going to have to move me to Hawaii for the rest of my years lest he goes crazy listening to my speculations on it.




I can honestly say that the rest of our time has been spent lounging. We had some busy weeks in Italy seeing. Now is the time for doing. Instead of imaging what we would do if we had the time... we are doing what we have been imaging. Riding our bikes,swimming, reading, painting, good old day dreaming.. we have all been keeping ourselves very busy playing.



Ok, running through the wheat fields looks like a ton of fun. It is not...
The trick is to wear jeans otherwise your legs will end up with lots of itchy, red welts.






Does swimming in the pool count as a bath? We all need haircuts!



A visit to Roussillon and its ochre fields. We had a fun hike through the Sentier des Ocres and some absolutely beautiful ochre formations in all the earthy colours of the palette. I was not expecting this kind of landscape here in Provence.



It felt similiar to Moab, Utah.



These two showed up on our doorstep, bags filled with tasty food and good wine. We wish they could have stayed longer!
Nikki has just started her own tour company in Provence called "picnics in provence" - Provence off the beaten path. Kirsten came, all the way from Beijing, to help her out for a couple of weeks. We caught up with them at the end of their visit. They were full of good stories. We spent the evening drinking rose and planning our future lives in Provence.




I love visiting with Kirsten. Our families will grow old together....I can be sure we will still be having the same conversations about what we are going to do with our lives when we are 80...

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that guests are welcome!!!!
    See u in a couple of days....

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can come with my parents...they arrive tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete